Friday, April 20, 2012

Restaurant X

A few weeks ago, during Hudson Valley Restaurant Week, I was a guest blogger for Liz Johnson's Small Bites food blog for the Journal News.


My reviews can be found here:
and


What an absolute treat for me as a food lover and blogger to be able to connect with everyone for such a great event (and for me, this was the second year).  To thank the bloggers (don't tell, but for me the joy of participating is its own reward) Jerry Novesky, Janet Crawshaw and Liz Johnson take us all out for a lovely dining experience and this year, we were hosted by Restaurant X in Congers, NY.




It is my nature to be early, especially when I am looking forward to an event or adventure and so I was 20 minutes ahead of schedule when I arrived.  A perfect opportunity to explore...

Part of the entrance

In the entry

The Bully Boy Bar

Something about the architecture and design...

Who wouldn't want to linger over a wonderful meal?

Let's meet for lunch -

or brunch (booked 3 weeks in advance)


 On to the Blogger Event...


Guests were given a choice of cocktails, I chose the rum punch - refreshing, without being too sweet and a perfect size portion for social sipping.  I was told the libation included a bit of Crown Maple Syrup.  Lovely.



 On the tables, a promise of things to come listed: 

A Selection of Passed Foods
Jumbo Asparagus Points with Prosciutto di Parma
Crown Maple Glazed Rohan Duck Breast
Assorted Asian Dumplings
A Bundle of Casar Salad
Lobster Cappuccino with Mascarpone Foam
Coconut Shrimp with Mustard Sauce
Japanese Crispy Salmon Roll Avocado & Sushi Rice
Spicy Rock Shrimp Ginger & Roquefort
Spring Ramp Risotto with Black Truffle
Braised Short Ribs "Wellington" Foie Gras & Madeira
Apple & Brie Turnover Crisp Phyllo
Coach Farms Goat Cheese & Onion Tartlet
Kumomoto Oyster with Ponzu & Ginger
Spring Lamb Chops with Rosemary Jus
A Spoonful of Lump Crabmeat with Creamed Spinach
Mousse of Foie Gras with Fig Jam

Desserts
Pecan Diamonds
Grand Marnier Truffles
Lemon Panna Cotta
Miniature Creme Brulee
Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
Raspberry Tartlet
Chocolate Dome with Caramel Center


 The creamed spinach with a pillow of lump crab meat was decadence in a spoon.



The oysters were beautiful and the snap of spicy ginger was like a quick wake up spark to the taste buds.

 Under normal circumstances I refrain from ordering lamb or veal, but the elegant tray of perfectly cooked chops were inviting, tender, and simply tasted wonderful.


The ramp risotto may have been one of my favorite dishes of the evening.  Delicately creamy balanced by the ramp's vibrant green onion-like freshness - I confess I had two servings.

Although many of the other wonderful dishes are not featured in photographs, each and every one were outstanding.  My personal favorites not already mentioned, included the Lobster Cappuccino, the spicy Rock Shrimp and the Crown Maple Glazed Rohan Duck.

I then began to worry.  I had sampled so many amazing dishes, I really did not allow room for dessert and soon the service and passing of the sweets began...


I did sample a strawberry as they are a sweet I will never be able to pass up.  I especially enjoyed and appreciated the X formation presentation as well as the varied dots and stripes of white chocolate.  Lovely.

Miniature cones with refreshing sorbet - I tried the Mango and felt refreshed and as if my palette had been spoiled.  Would I ever be able to eat "regular" food again? 


When I met Chef Peter X. Kelly, I had a million questions that went out of my head.  I wanted to ask the obvious, "What was the best part of your experience with Food Network?" and "Where do you find your creativity?" or "What's your favorite meal?"  I also wanted to ask, "What would your Mom be surprised to know you eat?"  Even now as I write, I can think of more I should have tried to discuss, but instead others wanted their turn and so I eased back into the background.  Happy to have had the opportunity.  And, also wiser.

Thank you everyone, to Jerry, Janet, Liz, Chef Peter X. Kelly, those behind the scenes, the participating restaurants, my fellow bloggers and my family (who secretly look forward to tagging along on my culinary adventures) - I had a fabulous time and look forward to the next chapter.

Also, thank you for the Blogger Swag!

Restaurant X & Bully Boy Bar on Urbanspoon


No comments:

Post a Comment