Sunday, August 26, 2012

Pine Bush Farmers Market & The PERFECT Tomato Sandwich

Shopping at the Farmers Market.  Should one bring a list?  Well, I think it's best to simply walk through and browse every stand for what is fresh and design the week's menu from the ripe offerings.

After all, what doesn't pair beautifully with corn?


Take a moment to enjoy the surroundings as well.  Pine Bush also offers free musical entertainment to enhance the experience and really make you feel like you are part of a community event rather than just shopping.  Although shopping for food, to me, is far more exciting than being trapped in a mall with crazed back-to-school frenzied families.

The colors, the smells, the feel of freshness...


and wondering what can I create with those ingredients?  How can they best be prepared?


For me, I even enjoy the displays - more so than a commercial retail window.

It is the "Tomato Me Crazy" event and these jewels are simply begging to be bought.



Ribbony edges on vibrant greens can make one block out any worries about Fall styles.  Who cares if hem lines for skirts will be long or short?


The classic squash and zucchini...

At home, I have 6 - 8 ripe tomatoes of my own that I can't wait to pair with... well, now, my perfect tomato sandwich is quite simple - a smear of mayonnaise that will mix with the fruit juices to create a drippy pink sauce, a sprinkle of salt and a dash of pepper, today's only question is what the vehicle will be.  I select a half dozen rolls from Herman's Erie House stand - 3 herb and 3 classic.  I confess, I would have settled for squishy white bread as well, but the crusty rolls were quite superior.  Freshly and locally Fed Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment