Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Customized Eggs Benedict with a Side of Personal Life


Turning a corner.  A powerful phrase.  Strong emotions are attached when one turns a corner in life, whether by choice or force, the turns are far more difficult than the straight lines.

Faced with the latest in a series of events that combine to create one of only a handful events that change a person's entire life, I reach out to friends and family.  We share stories, theories and feelings over meals.  On a fine Sunday morning, I meet a friend that I have known for all but about 8 years of my life.

I don't need a menu.  I know what I like and am not feeling adventurous and so Eggs Benedict but with the substitution of tomato slices for the English Muffins and a cup of tea with milk. 


I am thankful for being accommodated in my request but did not think to ask for the tomato slices to be left cold rather than grilled.  Unfortunately, a large portion of the tomato is left on the plate but the poached egg, the Hollandaise and Canadian bacon more than satisfy.  The eggs are pillowy, yielding a creamy yolk and topped with a rich, luscious sauce. 

My friend orders French Toast but offers me quiet understanding and let's me empty out all of the latest chain of events.  I have learned that I make new discoveries in the telling and it is quite therapeutic.  She offers a point of view, advice and thoughts. 

When I am able, I switch roles and want to know about her world, her family and her life.  It is the give and take, the back and forth, with a serving of sincere caring that makes a relationship.  Any relationship.  I need to feel what it is like to be on both sides again, to come out of my selfish retreat of healing and feel my first steps back into the world may have appeared wobbly but felt strong and sturdy.


It is common for people to say things like, "we grew up together," and yet, are we ever really done growing?  I'm definitely in the middle of a growth spurt.

Our food finished, our dishes cleared and it is time to return to the business we go about on a weekend morning.  We are at our beginning, in the town we grew up in and I know we will always be in each other's lives.  With each of the circular chapters I move through, she has been there at various distances but sharing this experience with her leaves me feeling Fed Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment