Saturday, September 8, 2012

Forrest & Jenny, Peas & Carrots, Potatoes & Eggs



Sometimes, the brain makes strange connections, well mine does anyway.  I have never in my life eaten peas and carrots together, but when I think of food duets it is one that always comes to mind thanks to Forrest.  And yes, I always say it in my mind with his voice.

Funny how some foods simply compliment each other in some indescribable way like potatoes and eggs.  I have my preferences, but these red potatoes with peppers and onions are fairly high on the list so when our regular grill master took a two week vacation from the work cafeteria, the substitute put these out in the morning and I was immediately addicted.

The first day I simply drooled over the idea of having two runny eggs over the potatoes.  I pictured the rich yellow yolk breaking, cascading over the crispy skins, seasoned well with salt and pepper, oh my.  I need a minute to compose myself.

So delicious.  So decadent.  For a few minutes, the morning pauses at my desk as I block out the rest of the world and enjoy my indulgent morning plate of heaven.


The substitute cook remembers the next time I visit and offers me the same plate, but no, I want to branch out just a little.  How about one scrambled egg with the potatoes?

"Would you like me to cook it all together for you," he offers.

"No thank you." 

I am simply not ready to make such a culinary leap.  What kind of woman does he think I am, mixing my food all up together?  In his defense, he has never seen the way I circle around a plate, ensuring just the exact same amount of each food item is left in comparable amounts.  Forkfuls are carefully contemplated, thought out and balanced.  How can the food simply be scrambled together? 


The next visit, he offers again to cook the eggs and potatoes together and yes, I gave in.  Though I did not photograph the results, I can confidently say it was one of the best breakfasts I had ever had at work.  The skins of the potatoes were crisp, but the flesh was soft, the ratio of potatoes to peppers and onions was perfect.  The eggs were done just enough, not too wet, not dry and brown.  The plate itself was quite heavy with the generous serving and I was not heard from for quite a few minutes at my desk. 

Forrest sincerely told Jenny, "I'm not a smart man, but I know what love is," and while lately I am not sure I know what love is, I know what it is to be Fed Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment