Saturday, December 8, 2012

Meeting a Friend at Marcellos and Confirming I need a New Cell Phone


We make friends in settings such as school and work and then when life shifts and we are no longer in the same circumstances we sometimes lose touch but mostly the feelings of friendship remain.  *Luckily, we now live in an age that may allow a simple Google search to put us back in touch or in this case Facebook.

*In this case the ability to find and be found via social media has a happy ending.  Unfortunately, this is not always the case.

I have reconnected with a friend from high school and though we were never "BFFs" I think we always enjoyed each other's company - ok and truth be known, smokers in high school had some kind of inexplicable bond.  I gave up the stinky smoking years ago, but I am happy to have found a long lost friend.

The two of us live far enough away from each other that meeting in a restaurant after work made the most sense since I work a mere 10 - 15 minutes from her job and so Marcello's is our restaurant of reunion.



After listening to the enticing specials, meeting and talking with Marcello himself, our orders are placed.  For me, the roast vegetable soup which was pureed veggies including squash with a toast round floating in the center with melted cheese.  My friend started with an appetizer of ricotta cheese wrapped in mozzarella (Burrata) over a bed of arugula and mushrooms.

Stories are shared, the plates are cleared and our entrees arrive.  No rushed feeling and no feelings of being ignored - the pace is enjoyable and suits our social agenda.

For me, the braised short rib stuffed ravioli with "hand picked mushrooms from the Catskills."  I smiled inside as I live in the Catskill area and find it funny when my area is a selling point for a meal that is prepared about one hour away.

My friend's meal was dark meat chicken with a small side of greens, perhaps spinach, and what looked to be lovely and crispy shoestring fries.

I took photos with my phone of my soup as well as both of our entrees and the results were a disaster.  I knew I needed a new phone and though I had been to the cell phone "store", I had been given so much information I hesitate to decide.  Today, I am fairly sure I will be reviewing the iphone once more as it has jumped to the top of the list.  In fact, it was among the topics of discussion over dinner.

Another unexpected treat during our meal was the annual parade complete with Santa Claus.  The lights and sirens from firetrucks filled the dining room and though a small percentage of the diners were interested in Santa, everyone loves a parade, right?

The plates are again cleared and we return to our life sharing.  My companion chooses the chocolate flourless cake.



I select the lemon tart.



It was a lovely meal indeed.  We feel Fed Well and caught up, a hug and the promise of another meal soon with maybe a few more guests at the table.  I am looking forward to it.

Marcello's Ristorante on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment