Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Part 2 - Customized "Mexican" Dip

About a million years ago (20), I had this "Mexican" dip for the first time.  I don't really think it is Mexican at all and it really isn't taco dip, but it is a layered hot dip for nachos.  We also sometimes refer to the person who first gave me the recipe in the name and call it, "Aunt Jane's Dip."

To begin, a typical batch mean browning one pound of ground beef then following the directions on the packet of taco seasoning mix.  For the Super Bowl, I used half beef and half ground venison.  Once the beef is drained and seasoned, I add one small can of green Chile peppers.



Spread one can of refried beans in the bottom of an oven safe dish. The next step is where the customization comes in for this house.  One son has claimed he does not like olives and so I only spread them out on the right side of the pan before covering with the seasoned meat.




Cover the entire pan with sharp cheddar and bake at 350 until it is heated through and the cheese is thoroughly melted.



This dip not only has several names, it is almost always a crowd pleaser and can be served with whatever variety of chips your family prefers from lime flavored to the multi-grain scoops (our current favorite). 

Yes, I have one funny story about this treat.  We once had an electrician in our house who installed recessed lights in the living room and kitchen and while he was working I made this dip.  I offered him some and after taking just one bite he said, "You know what?  This would be really good with some sour cream."  I was speechless.  My family held their breath.  Who dare imply the dip need any improvement?  We laugh about it now, but I was quite surprised at his response.  Not, "thank you," or "this is good," but a straight forward opinion about how to improve a good thing.  Oh well.  We will always laugh about it, smile, keep eating and remain Fed Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment