Monday, February 4, 2013

Super Bowl Prep Part 1 - First Time Chicken Wings

I've never been much of a fan of chicken wings.  I'm not sure if it is the hot sauce, the amount of work required for such a small serving of meat, the mess, or a combination.

Sure, I have been to a ton of parties that feature chicken wings and they seem to be a Super Bowl standard. When my sons were growing up, they always loved wings and sometimes they were a main course for them.

This year, for Super Bowl XLVII, I decided to join in on the full experience and learn how to cook some darn wings!  I went online to my first recipe source:  FoodNetwork.com of course.  Then I worried.

Next, I pulled out my only Super Bowl related serving dish.  Though designed for chips in the middle and dips on the end, I could make it work for the wings.


The recipe directions suggested grilling or cooking in the oven the seasoned wings.  I really need to invest in a rack, but I did season them well and cook at 375 for 20 minutes then turn and cook for another 20 minutes.  The photo is black and white because really, partially cooked chicken is not that appetizing and so the dramatic effect actually enhances the food in this case.


While the wings cooked, I assembled the sauce which was basically hot sauce, butter, garlic, olive oil, vinegar and a splash of lime juice.


Though the picture is of the sauce in a bowl, I did cook the sauce long enough to melt the butter and for all ingredients to come together.  After the cooked wings were coated in sauce, I made up my own rule and put them back in the oven just long enough to get the other snacks together (check for future posts).  I then tossed them in the sauce one more time before placing them in the football dish.


I was triple nervous - I had no reference point, I didn't taste them before putting them out and I broke the recipe rules without knowing how well that would work.  Luckily, everything turned out fine.  My older son was worried they would be too hot (he always orders mild) and I know my younger son was just plain worried.  Next time I will separate the wing parts.  

We watched the game, the entertainment and the commercials with our own running commentary.  I didn't make it to the end as I get up by 5 a.m. and so a late night Sunday football game, even for the National Championship is just too much.

Happy with my wing adventure, we were all able to eventually go to sleep feeling Fed Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment