Sunday, March 24, 2013

Scallops in Garlic Cream Sauce

Sometimes I just have a craving and make up the rest as I go along.  I wanted scallops.  The fish counter was jammed and so I did buy frozen.  In the moment, it really doesn't matter.  While grocery shopping I didn't have a particular recipe in mind but knew I would at least need lemon, parsley and garlic.


I know, they are just the baby sea scallops instead of the monster bay scallops, but I am fine with it.  The trick for me is getting a hard sear on frozen anything and yes, the pan is a little crowded.  My solution, as the juices collect, I strain everything over a bowl and reserve the juices until I am able to crisp the edges of the scallops.  I season with salt, pepper, and Old Bay.


I coat the scallops with flour and let it go for a few minutes in the hot pan before adding the reserved juice back, chopped garlic and parsley, some butter and half/half.  One minute the sauce was still runny so I mixed a pat of butter with flour then dropped it in.  As soon as it melted, the liquids had become creamy and smooth.


I served it over thin spaghetti and though it is not the Mr.'s favorite, he did appreciate the execution of the dish.  I will be enjoying some flavorful left-overs this week at work.  Having all four of us together for dinner was enough to leave me feeling Fed Well.


No comments:

Post a Comment