Monday, April 29, 2013

Grilled Shrimp Salad


I first saw the phrase from the above cartoon about a year ago.  I laughed and posted the message on my Facebook.  Funny, right?  

Problem is, most of us (myself included) after say 20 or more years after graduation can maybe only fit into our high school earrings and ok, if we are completely honest - perhaps shoes and socks.  

While I am not overweight, I am no longer that skinny girl either and as each birthday passes, I'd rather not think of buying the next higher size in clothing.  I spend a lot of my time in a chair, at a desk and while I love to eat well, I am also prone to eating what feels and tastes good.  Not every meal, but the time has come to reel things in a bit and rather than take away the bad, add more of the healthy options.  Timing is perfect as the farmer's markets begin to open, the days are longer to allow more time for walking or being active outside.  

First simply prepared and healthier meal is a grilled shrimp salad.  I had it for dinner one day and then the leftovers for lunch the next.  The salad base was all of the available produce basically I had on hand.  Romaine, spinach, tomatoes, carrot, celery and green bell peppers.  The shrimp were marinated in cilantro, parsley, lime juice, salt, pepper and a splash of olive oil.

The vegetables are crisp, fresh and left undressed.  I continue to enjoy a naked salad.  The shrimp are firm, flavorful from the marinade and give the feelings of both lightness and satisfaction.  The Mr. does not feel the salad in any form can be an entree and so he fills two wraps with basically the same ingredients but if putting everything into a shell adds to the experience for him, so be it.  


I have also grown to love a sweet bite after a meal.  This very ripe cantaloupe satisfies the sweet tooth.


In my house I find the desire to be Fed Well is always present.  The final hurdle is in making sure the right foods are readily available.  It  must be just as easy to access as ripping open a bag of chips or else it will be looked over for convenience.  Grilled shrimp salad is as simple to prepare as a hamburger, but leaves me hoping I've made a slightly healthier choice and still feel Fed Well.


No comments:

Post a Comment