Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Taco de Pescado

The 5th of May...a holiday?  Cinco de Mayo you say?  It taunts us from the calendar and sneaks into every available crack and crevice.  Advertising.  Story lines.  Even the cafeteria at work has a Spanish themed lunch special.  Sometimes, I just give in and go with it.

Fish tacos for dinner.

I have no particular culinary path in mind when I begin the journey at the seafood counter.

"I'd like to make fish tacos," I explain.  "Which kind of fish would you recommend?"

"Cod."

Well, not very exciting but when I look in the display case I realize I do not have many choices.  Tilapia?  Too thin.  Salmon is an obvious no for this family regardless of ability to switch things up or season them.  I am not a huge fan of salmon.  Various shell fish.  No.  Although, I know we all agree on grilled shrimp.  Some can have cod, others shrimp or one of each - mix and match.

I season the cod with cilantro, salt, pepper, garlic and a splash of olive oil before it is wrapped in foil and placed on the grill.


A similar treatment for the shrimp plus some Adobo.  Cinco de Mayo, remember?


Diced lettuce and tomato for freshness and crunch.

Also on the table were large soft shells to wrap the ingredients in.  I chose to instead mix everything together as a make-shift salad.  In honor of the holiday I know nothing about, the Mr. and I also split a Corona.  Yes, we split it.  Not a big drinking house.

But, we are also not Mexican and yet, we are indulging with a wink and a nod to a holiday we do not celebrate.

It doesn't matter.  All in the spirit of sharing a good meal with family (or friends) and so it is simply about being Fed Well.


No comments:

Post a Comment