Saturday, June 15, 2013

Famous Deli-Licious' Best Kept Secret - PUMPKIN

Once upon a time, a lifetime ago, I worked in a building on Dolson Avenue which was visited by a man a white uniform, with a large white apron and a picnic basket filled with sandwiches for sale.  Many of us would buy them and my quick favorite was roasted red peppers, with fresh mozzarella and portabello mushrooms on a roll.  One day I drove to the Famous Deli-Licious store myself and was amazed - the visuals, the atmosphere, the selection...I had never had such a food experience.  I asked for my favorite and was told they wanted me to try something new.  Pumpkin.

Pumpkin?  On a sandwich?  I couldn't get my head around the idea, but I've always been a fairly adventurous eater (creamed pearl onions/liver/lobster - all tried and liked by the age of 8).  Ok.  I'll have the pumpkin.

I was given a large and crusty roll filled with pumpkin cutlets and my favorite fresh mozzarella.  Oh my.  Leave behind any thoughts of pie or jack-o-lanterns.  This is completely unrelated.  I've been a fan ever since and we now have a family tradition to serve the Famous Deli-Licious pumpkin as part of our Thanksgiving meal.

My younger son craves food from "The Italian Pork Store" and recently requested we have it for dinner and so we ordered a smorgasbord of items for a kitchen table picnic. The relentless rain kept us inside.

Bread.  It all begins with bread.
Prosciutto Bread
"Traditional" Bread
We have also ordered a small ball of mozzarella, black, oil cured olives and marinated mushrooms.


Genoa Salami, Prosciutto and Cappicola
Add a fresh salad, sliced tomatoes and we are almost ready.  I love this buffet feast for the diner's ability to customize flavor combinations.  You can make a gourmet chef salad, a sandwich or a variety of sandwich combinations - open face or closed.  Food heaven for this family. 

I gently heat the pumpkin in the oven for a few minutes and this is how it looks:
A slice of pumpkin on bread with fresh cheese and tomato and I simply cannot speak - not because I have food in my mouth (although that does factor in) but I am speechless.  

I'm sharing a very important secret with you - go to the Famous Deli-Licious Pork Store and order the pumpkin.  Now.  But, if you see me waiting in line, all's fair in food and pumpkin love and I may buy all that remains for sale.  

This dish is one that I will not attempt to make on my own, leaves me and my family feeling Fed Well and has wonderful holiday memories attached.  Today, try the pumpkin.

Famous Deli-Licious Italian on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment