Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Lakeview House for Hudson Valley Restaurant Week Fall 2014

During Hudson Valley Restaurant Week my family knows it is quite likely they will be invited to join me to try a new area restaurant and this past week was no exception.  The Mr. and I invited our sons to The Lakeview House on Orange Lake.  I was also quite motivated since one of my longtime friends works there and I completely trust her judgment about food.

We were seated in the glass walled dining room I imagine is even more lovely either for lunch or a warm summer night with the sunset in full view over the lake.  Included in our Hudson Valley Restaurant Week menu are suggested local wine, beer and a cocktail selection.  Our younger son asks a few questions before deciding on Keegan Ales Hurricane Kitty and I opt for a Sidecar.  Our drinks are wonderful and I even had a sip of the Hurricane Kitty though I know nothing about beer other than whether or not I like the taste.

First course for me is the artichoke bottom stuffed with crabmeat.


I am quite happy with the flavor, portion size, using the artichoke bottom for ease of eating with a fork and do take advantage of squeezing a bit of fresh lemon juice on top.  Delicious and easily identifiable as crabmeat rather than crab flavored stuffing.

The Mr. begins with one of his favorites - French Onion Soup.


He has probably eaten hundreds of crocks of French Onion soup to date and has strong opinions when it comes to variations and chef interpretations.  He enjoyed the Lakeview House's flavors and proclaimed it to be, "good and traditional."  High praise from a man who is our resident French Onion critic.

Our sons decided to order from the regular menu and so began with classic tossed salad:

The vegetables were crisp and fresh - the plates were left clean.

Main courses

Priest Chokers Pasta - or Strozzapreti with baby arugula, grape tomatoes, homemade meatballs...I have to say I hesitated ordering this dish but trusted my friend when she told us her favorite dishes were steaks and pastas.  I have been burned in the past when ordering pasta in any place other than an Italian restaurant.  In fact, I often think of the movie, "Goodfellas," and worry I will be served egg noodles and ketchup.


I was served a huge bowl of happy.  The serving size was enormous, the spiral tubes of pasta were al dente, the meatballs were tender and flavorful and the cheese melted into the dish with a few turns of the fork.  Sumptuous and satisfying.  

Chicken.  Those who know us know chicken is the way to the Mr.'s heart.  He ordered the Chicken Sevillia which was chicken breast stuffed with Serrano ham, manchego cheese and served with a red pepper coulis.



Another nice size portion meal, the chicken breast was oversized, with a crispy exterior and moist meat.  The Mr. enjoyed his entire entree which was served with rice pilaf and broccoli.

Our sons both opted for 12 ounce steaks:


The understanding we have when dining out together is to let Mom try your dish, "so she can blog about it."  Well, sometimes, I just want to try their food - don't tell them.  The steak was tender and well seasoned and again, the men cleared their plates.

Dessert - our older son ordered 2 servings of key lime pie to go so he may enjoy it at home with his girlfriend who could not join us.  I later found out they gave their review was 2 forks up.

The Mr. opted for the Mudd Pie:


Honestly, the 4 of us could have shared this tremendous dessert after our meal.  

I had the fresh strawberries in Grand Marnier Custard and though you can't see the berries at the bottom, trust me, they were plentiful, juicy and sweet.


We were well taken care of, enjoyed our meals and look forward to returning to the Lakeview House when we can appreciate the setting as well as the fabulous food and thoughtful, attentive service.  Leaving Fed Well, full and with enough Priest Choker Pasta for another meal, I was thankful for dinner out during Hudson Valley Restaurant Week.

Lake View House on Urbanspoon



1 comment: