Search This Blog

Monday, December 22, 2014

Bernie's Holiday Restaurant

Billboard advertising is alive, well and effective.  If not for the huge road sign calling out Bernie's Holiday Restaurant on Route 17, I wonder if I would have ever suggested it to my family. Though it took a little while to get to it, we made it to Bernie's or BHR as it is also known.

The night we went, it seemed a flurry of activity was happening in the "other" room beyond the sliding partitioned door and guests continuously arriving caused a bit of a blustery commotion, but the inconvenience was temporary.  I happily sipped a well prepared Cosmopolitan and took in the decor.  I imagine a private party at Bernie's must be amazing.



We are brought out a bread basket and small bowl of dipping oil.



I don't know exactly what the bread pictured below was, other than to say it was delicious and eaten first.

Salads are presented with dressing on the side.  I go back and forth about being a fusspot in not wanting the dressing container (who knows where the bottom of it rested) being placed on my salad. I'm partly phobic I think, but the salad was crisp and chilled.



Next course was soup.  I had the New England Clam Chowder which is a frequent go-to for me.  It was a healthy portion that looks small in the oversized bowl.  It was delicious, hot and creamy.




At one point, I was able to speak with April, the owners wife, who was very friendly and helpful about the restaurant and surrounding shops and The Sullivan Hotel.  Lovely.

Main courses:
NY Strip Steak with smashed potatoes


Steak & Shrimp with rice

I sampled the steaks and they were delicious.

My own meal was ordered from the appetizer section of the menu.  


Lobster Au Gratin

It was a sizable portion for an appetizer and I have a healthy appetite so I can't imagine anyone needing much more to eat after finishing this deep dish serving.

We were Fed Well and happy to try someplace new. I strongly recommend the detour from the highway on your way to Monticello Raceway, Bethel Woods for a concert or any other Sullivan County destination.  BHR, we will return and I can't wait to try more of the menu.  It also looks like a great place to have a private party.  




Bernie's Holiday Restaurant on Urbanspoon

4 comments: