Tuesday, April 17, 2018

The Vault in Beacon, NY

With a fabulous errand to run in Beacon related to my son and his future bride's wedding, I was happy to meet my future daughter-in-law then go out to dinner. Just the two of us.  She's lovely and I want to start dispelling the belief that all mothers-in-law (m-i-l) are crazy, difficult, tough to get along with in general and all of the other negative stereotypes.  Although we may not agree on every single subject in life, I feel I have a great mother-in-law, and so I'd like to think a positive relationship is possible.

We strolled until we stopped in front of The Vault.  We'd both noticed this restaurant in the past, but hadn't had a chance to try it.  Now was the time.


Although it was cool, cloudy and grey, we could certainly see ourselves returning when the warmer weather does finally arrive.


We loved the idea of ordering a few plates to try and share!  We've already eaten a number of meals together, so I have a feel for her tastes, but it's still fun to navigate the menu, say what each of us would like to try and see how the compromise unfolds.  Truly, I am open to most things with only the lamb sliders as a request.


We are seated with others in the front windows and a few of these tables are filled with a large party before we leave.

The Southwest Salad

The salad includes the best marriage of taco and salad ingredients and flavors without meat.  Corn, beans, guacamole, cheese and crispy tortilla strips all over fresh greens.  Yum!

Meatballs

One of the top comfort foods, ever, is the meatball.  The Vault did a really great job in size, sauce, the cheese and overall flavor.  Very nice and yes, they are memorable.

The Burrata

I never spell burrata right the first time.  However, I've never had a burrata I didn't like.  This particular dish was a special and included figs, balsamic reduction drizzle, toast and arugula to hit all the notes I love - soft, crunchy, salty, sweet - delish.

Lamb Sliders

A very generous serving size of lamb is included in this particular dish.  The sauce reminded me in some ways of one I might use for pulled pork or even (and this is not an insult) Sloppy Joe's.  Something very familiar I just can't seem to name, but like a warm hug from your favorite aunt.

ALMOND JOY PIE

The dessert deserves all caps.  I did commit one m-i-l error and ordered this bit of decadence without checking if my future daughter-in-law even likes coconut.  I was so excited by the idea I couldn't contain myself.  The pie also included chocolate chunks, and swirling a forkful through the sauces on the plate then having a bit of ice cream was the perfect eating method for me.  Just loved this and yes, I ate the cookie.

I loved this evening.  The conversation flowed easily and the pauses felt appropriate rather than awkward silences that needed filling.  A lovely meal, at just the right pace, and I left feeling Fed Well (I hope she did as well).

No comments:

Post a Comment