Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Henry's at the Farm in Milton, NY


I have been a fan of Hudson Valley Restaurant Week and Valley Table magazine for a long time.  Restaurant week not only allows, but pushes me, to try new restaurants and maybe even try new dishes, or add to my list of favorites places to go.  Sometimes, you also have to choose the right dining partner because let's face it, dining out is not one size fits all and if it were all restaurants, cafes, and eateries would simply be the same.  So, for this experience, it was me and my shiny, new, daughter-in-law.  

Let's just pause a moment and honor the fact my daughter-in-law not only agreed to have dinner with me, alone, without my son, but dare I say I think we both truly enjoyed the evening.  I truly think she is witty, insightful, understanding and a great companion for dinner.

We both have fairly busy schedules, and decided a Monday night might be the best option, which can be a challenge as many restaurants are closed.  However, we were quite happy to find Henry's at the Farm was not only available, but high on both of our lists for places we want to get out and try.


So many options - both food and cocktails - with local suppliers carefully listed inside

The HVRW Menu

We dined fairly early, but by the time we left the dining room was full!

Lovely libations ranging from sweet to smoky with many featuring locally sourced ingredients as well.

A lovely bite of warmed bread - caraway seeds, a "light" rye with creamy, dreamy butter.
Sometimes a dipping oil just doesn't work.

The conversation goes everywhere, just as it would when two people gather for a meal - we talk about work, friends, health, family, shopping, and the upcoming holidays.  The quiet pauses are not uncomfortable, nor long, and the exchange is equally balanced, without pressure.  Sometimes, when we are with the right people, the time just passes, the topics come easily and before you know it, the first course arrives.

Millstone Farm Salad - heirloom tomatoes, cucumber, olives, feta and more from the regular menu

Butternut Squash Soup with Goat Cheese from the HVRW menu and the Soup of the Day

We both enjoyed and finished our first courses.  When I do that, I know I have set myself up to not be able to finish my main course, but I will tell you I gave it my best shot!

 Murray's Farm Glazed Chicken Breast from the regular menu with mashed potatoes, roasted sunburst squash.

Pumpkin ravioli with brown butter from the HVRW menu

Yep, I had to take half home because not only was I semi-filled from the first course, but I wanted dessert!

A Brownie Martini as big as your head from the regular menu

Fig Ice Cream - one of the many dessert options offered from the HVRW menu

At the end of the meal, I know this is an establishment I would return to and bring other family members or friends.

And so, mother-in-law/daughter-in-law dinner winds down, although we still have about a 45 minute ride home to chat through, and the conversation continues to be an easy volley between two women.  We do not need to be solely identified by our roles in relationships.  Yes, we have a common love of her husband/my son, but we are also people with thoughts, opinions, and experiences to share.  I look forward to many more meals and of course, feeling Fed Well together.

No comments:

Post a Comment