Saturday, October 27, 2012

Grown ups eat Hash Browns

As part of a particular generation, many may believe childhood included certain foods:  hot dogs, macaroni and cheese, peanut butter and jelly, tater tots, fishsticks and maybe hash browns.

Mostly, I didn't really eat any of those things.

Sometimes, while grocery shopping with my husband, he would share food memories of his youth that I simply could not understand.  He used to eat fishsticks.  I'd had actual fish but my mother wasn't a big fan of real or packaged fish of any kind.

When my sons were young they did like things like chicken wings and nuggets as sort of childhood foods, but surprised many with their love for shrimp, fried calamari and steak. It wasn't until I was a mom that I would even consider PB & J on white bread, but I have learned to love it once in awhile.  I have also modified the ingredients for a grown up version to include blueberry jam and peanut butter on a nice grainy bread.

My culinary upbringing included a lot of meat and potato based meals, pasta and lunches were typically sandwiches including cold cuts.  Ok, I did and still do love french fries and fast food hamburgers.

A few years ago when I turned 40 I had my first hash browns and tater tots.  You know what?  They weren't so bad and not really what I thought they would taste like based on their appearance.

Luckily, when our work cafeteria does not offer small red potatoes with breakfast now I can be sort of satisfied with hash browns.



A few childhood favorites would likely make me sick now like Strawberry Quik or bowls of rice with butter.  Some are simply no longer available like Quisp cereal.  What childhood favorites leave you feeling Fed Well?

No comments:

Post a Comment