Saturday, January 5, 2013

Avocado Specials

Every other Friday a small group (some of the members change), including myself, has lunch together typically at the Chinese or Mexican restaurants within walking distance from work.

This past Wednesday one of the members asked if we could go to the diner instead - she had a craving.

Of course!  I am always up for a diner!

 

 Two white boards of specials are posted in the lobby area and I stick to my new rule once seated and only look at the specials.  One sheet of paper with many avocado based dishes.  Sounds good to me.

Not sure what made me look at our waiter's feet when he was taking the next table's order, but we love the kicks.  Also classic, but are they practical when on your feet for 8 hours?


Last year we belonged to a celebrity divorce pool.  Each of us selected 10 celebrities we predicted to be divorced in 2012.  I had the most wins and as a bonus we selected one celebrity we thought would wed in 2012 and I got that one right as well.  Believing in karma and the power of the universe, I want to avoid any subjects that negative in 2013 as I suffered a few pretty substantial bumps in the road in my personal life in 2012 I suggest we instead have a celebrity marriage pool with a baby option as the bonus.  However, our lunch talk turns to theorizing who or which department will be most impacted by the upcoming announced layoffs or job elimination or cost savings initiative or whatever you want to call it.


Back to the food, I ordered the California Benedict.  A toasted english muffin topped with avocado, grilled tomato, poached eggs and Hollandaise served with a side of breakfast potatoes.  Absolutely delicious.  My avocado may have needed one more day to reach peak texture and personally, I would have preferred raw tomato but it was fabulous none the less.


The California omelet contained similar ingredients and my friend said it was delicious. 


The main reason for selecting a diner was so another friend could have a tuna melt with fries.  A diner classic.  She was quite happy with all components.

We haven't made any decisions about the celebrity pool.  We are going to wait and see what happens with the job eliminations.  Wait and see.  Wait and see.

We were together, had our first co-workers lunch of the new year and left feeling full and Fed Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment