Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Twist on Grilled Cheese and Soup

I'm feeling a case of snowitis coming on.  Don't worry, it's not contagious and I don't need a vaccine.  It simply means I will not likely be leaving my house until the storm is over.  I do not panic and buy the last loaves of bread or gallons of milk but it is highly likely that tomorrow I may feel the need to bake a batch of cookies or cook something slow and low.  For tonight, it means a quick soup and a variation of grilled cheese.

Since it is a simple meal to begin with I do allow for some customizing.  My older son requests his on double protein bread with tomatoes, the Mr. prefers his with ham (we are out) but is quite happy with traditional white bread and yellow American cheese.  I feel like mixing things up a bit by using a wrap with mozzarella and tomatoes, a sprinkle of salt and pepper and treating it like a quesadilla.

The soup is equal parts chicken and beef broth with one cup of Acini di Pepe pasta.  The first time I had this simple soup I was 16 and it was served to me by the woman who for the last 25 years has been my mother-in-law.  My husband insists dishes or meals have names and so we refer to this as "Circle Soup," and it is one the entire family agrees to love.


We talk about preparation for the upcoming winter Storm Helen.  My older son has to be at his job by 4 a.m. to begin snow and ice removal.  My husband will likely have a challenging ride to work and as I mentioned earlier am planning on tending my snowitis.  Stay safe and Fed Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment