Sunday, August 18, 2013

Manalapan Diner After Great Adventure

Food in New Jersey?  After visiting a theme park?  For a group with varying tastes?  Yes, a diner.  While my sister drove, all passengers were on the lookout for a diner and the Manalapan was where we stopped our search.  Looked like it was recently updated and with cars in the parking lot, we thought it seemed like a good choice.


One of the best features of a diner is the variety.  Not only are the novel size menus filled with hundreds of options, diners can order any meal any time of the day as well as any number of specials. My sister and I opt for the seafood bisque. 


The Mr. typically stays away from anything that remotely resembles baby food and the soup is no exception. It could have used a bit less salt and though the crackers are provided for texture, I would have preferred oyster crackers if I had a choice.

A packed bread basket includes a cheese danish.  I've never seen that before.  

Had a moment of confusion as we received the bread and soup long before drinks.  When I asked for our drinks, our waitress was a bit sharp and then when she returned with them (one was wrong but we were afraid to say anything), she told us a story that included her revealing her age (73).  Was that designed so we would give her a break?  Not sure.  She seemed lovely, but that wasn't the point.  I was thirsty from the salty soup is all.  I worried the mood was ruined.


The Mr.'s wrap. Yes, chicken.  He was happy.  The fries were crisp, the pickle was dill-icious and snappy.

A classic order of spaghetti and meatballs (well, one large) for my older nephew.

The younger nephew also chose a classic; penne a la vodka.  A beautiful and large portion.

My sister enjoyed the eggplant parmigiana. 

Where is my dish?  Well, it was delicious.  I simply put the camera away and forgot all about it.  I did have sweet potato fries and a shrimp salad wrap.  I avoided eye contact or any verbal exchanges with our waitress and she paid attention to my sister.  Awkward.  

However, as part of her peace offering, she allowed my nephews to order a complimentary dessert upgrade (I was never asked if I wanted anything).  Here's what they both decided on:

They loved it.

The rest of the ride home included stories of the day, reviewing the photos on my cell phone, telling a few jokes and memories that will feed us well for a lifetime.

Manalapan Diner on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment