Monday, March 15, 2021

Sunday Dinner - Burgers and Babies (and a recipe for potato salad)

 


Sunday Dinner.

Does it make you imagine something like this:


I came across this family photo from my husband's family recently and just love it. Three generations. Dressed up for the occasion and knowing it is special enough to have a group photo. I'm assuming Christmas or Christmas Eve based on the tree in the left-hand corner, but just look at them. Joy. Celebration. Family. Together.

I've been missing gathering. And while the current pandemic climate can make gathering tricky, I can feel the change coming and soon I will make it a point to make sure we can all safely enjoy each other's company as well as a wonderful meal in my home again.

A section of my family was able to enjoy Sunday dinner this past week. Burgers from the grill. Yes, on a cold blustery Northeastern March evening, we enjoyed grilled goodness with potato salad, tossed salad, and a selection of simple frozen vegetables. Know what? It was delicious - the Mr. grilled, and I assembled the rest with help from everyone. I was able to hold my new granddaughter and give her a bottle.

AND, she met her great grandmother (my Mommy) for the first time.


Three generations became four just about 18 months ago, but as the family grows, we welcome each new member with celebration. How lucky we are...

Want to know about the potato salad?

  • I boiled one pound of small red potatoes with the skins on, cut into chunks, in salted water.
  • In a large mixing bowl, I combined some diced onion, two minced stalks of celery, a bit of salt and pepper with a splash of mustard and some mayonnaise. (Sorry, I don't really measure).
  • Then, I drained the potatoes really well. Stirred them into the mixing bowl and made sure everything was well coated before sprinkling some paprika on top. Transferred the potato salad to a serving bowl, covered, and chilled in the refrigerator for a few hours.

It was a hit!

So were the burgers.

And the baby.

We are planning a larger gathering for Easter. Nothing too grand. But, I can tell you I am excited and looking forward to sharing food, stories, and create wonderful memories along with feeling Fed Well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment