Friday, March 26, 2021

Chicken Cutlet Perfection - 4 Ingredients

 


Chicken Cutlet 101

A perfectly, golden brown, crispy yet tender and juicy, chicken cutlet is one of the culinary world's greatest offerings. Over the years, I thought I was doing a pretty great job, selecting organic chicken, slicing it into cutlets, pounding it out underneath a layer of plastic wrap, gently heating the oil in a large skillet then dipping the chicken in egg wash before covering it in bread crumbs and frying.

No, that's not a typo. That's how I did it. 

I always thought the flour was an unnecessary, extra step, what-good-does-it do, bit of nonsense. Plus, I thought most of the flour would wash off in the egg mixture. My cutlets were great.

I believed.

Until, one night, my younger son, armed with enthusiasm and a thermometer, took over the cutlet task for me.

He checked the temperature of the oil.

What? 

He dredged the cutlet in flour before the egg wash then finished with panko.

I don't think I have to really tell you - the cutlets were not only beautiful, but that crispness - I can still hear it - ah, perfect.

On a salad. Or next to pasta. Or with vegetables on the side. It doesn't matter. I am not too proud to tell you, he took a good thing and built on it by using the proper technique. THAT does matter.

By the way, he will likely be the cooker of the cutlets from now on because he did such an amazing job. Just like in the workplace, when you show you are good at something, you get to do it more.

Looking forward to the next serving of perfect chicken cutlets and feeling Fed Well!

No comments:

Post a Comment