Monday, February 2, 2015

Brunch Featuring Toast Topped with Avocado and Crabmeat

Brunch.  A leisurely meal that lands between the hours of breakfast and lunch, is spent at a slower pace, lingering and relaxed.  That's my definition.  Yours may be different.  

On a recent weekend, I spent brunch with 2 (it was supposed to be 3) of my long time lady friends at one of their homes.  We've known each other since childhood and while some are closer than others, and we may drift without speaking for bursts of time, we are like moons that end up gravitating back together.  

For brunch, I wondered what to make for about 5 minutes. Pinterest is almost always the answer to food questions.  I simply clicked on the link for "Food" and the recipe I used as one of the top Pins on the page.

Though the photo suggested using toast rounds I first sliced the bread which happened to be baked in a round loaf (bread choice is up to you) then I cut the slices into triangles.  This allowed roughly 3 pieces per slice which can be toasted in a traditional toaster or broiled in the oven with a light coating of olive oil.  I chose the broiler with olive oil.  In a bowl I mashed 3 avocados with a generous pinch of salt and a skimpy pinch of garlic powder.  In a separate dish I tossed about 12 ounces of lump crab meat with the juice of 1/2 lime and perhaps a tablespoon or two of fresh mint sliced into small ribbons (chiffonade).  The avocado mix is then spread on the toast rounds and topped with the crab. Another option is to top with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper - I simply sprinkled some salt and black pepper.  Delish.



One of my girlfriends made finger sandwiches.  How cute! Half were ham with a Hawaiian spread that had a little bit of a kick and the other half were cucumber with dill.  So lady like.



The host girlfriend prepared a frittata in a cast iron pan with crispy bacon, ricotta and spinach.  It was so fluffy and creamy while maintaining the crunch of the bacon.  Yes, of course we had Mimosas!



A second gratuitous look at the frittata:



And this is what the table look like:



Yes, we chatted about the past and the present, our families, dogs, and well, food, the proper use of cameras and flash, Facebook and our upcoming high school reunion.  Good thing we had those Mimosas!



And what did our host prepare? Yes, a special dessert in footed green glass.  Berries topped with a scoop of vanilla pudding as well as a dollop of whipped cream.  This is no ordinary brunch.  These are no ordinary lady friends!

We were Fed Well and hugs were shared all around.  I look forward to the next brunch.  Wonder what I will make...

No comments:

Post a Comment