Monday, June 14, 2021

Fried Chicken and Life Lessons

 
My great grandmother invited my family for a visit when I was elementary school age. We lived in a rural small town and she lived in the biggest building I had ever been inside in a far away place with a funny name. Yonkers.

Remember, I said great grandmother. I estimate she was in or near her 70’s. Think pantyhose with a low heeled shoe, sort of like Queen Elizabeth, but topped with an apron. Hair perfectly done. Stout, with a stern looking face at first, that always broke into a broad smile.

One afternoon, we all got in the car and started the trip. Rest stops and rest areas were a popular thing – not just for using the rest room but for grabbing a quick bite to eat. It felt like a magical outing for sure since we stopped! Wow.

My dad never seemed to drive straight to her apartment building. We were often given a bit of a tour, “See that, that’s where I went to the park,” or, “That’s the house where my aunt lived.” What I would give to be able to relive those moments now. I had no idea how fast time would pass and how very fragile a single life is or that not everyone gets to grow old.

Between you and me, I think he also meandered around for a few minutes to get his bearings. And then, to find parking. In time, we went in the small elevator and were on our way to see Nana!

As soon as she opened the door -  I smelled it. I saw the beautifully golden brown fried chicken stacked on a platter and I could hardly contain myself. This was a treat!

But, I wasn’t hungry. We just ate at the iconic Red Apple Rest and I immediately felt the need to share this information with my Nana.

She shot my father a look and said, “You ate? Didn’t you think I would feed you? Of course I would feed you.”

She was INSULTED.

“Nana, we don’t want you to go through all of this work for our visit,” (or something like that) was what he assured her.

He was able to charm her back and we did all gather at her table to enjoy the crispy fried goodness of that delicious chicken.

The memory blurs from there but I remembered the rules of hosting I was starting to learn. Always have good food on hand for your family, friends, or guests. Make it your best. Make sure you have plenty.

We left feeling Fed Well and hopefully she didn’t stay angry or disappointed or have hurt feelings for long. I remembered feeling guilty for blurting out that we ate but in self-defense, I did not want to be forced to sit and eat when I was not hungry. Funny how we find the room to eat when presented with truly mouth watering food.

Nana lived to see the birth of my first son, her great-great-grandson. Amazing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment