Thursday, February 4, 2021

Soup's on! Potato and Leek Soup Recipe


Winter in New York means snow storms, N'oreasters, chilly days, and plenty of excuses for soup. I like taking a recipe for guidance and making it my own and encourage you to do the same. I found inspiration for this soup online, but here is how I did it.

You'll need:

  • 5 - 6 potatoes - peeled and cubed
  • 1 box store bought chicken stock
  • 1 cup of heavy cream
  • 1 large leek
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Optional crispy garnish can be croutons, crumbled bacon or simply sprinkle with parsley or a few celery leaves.
*Immersion blender or blender

First, I had my helper, Fed Well, Jr. (FWJ) in his high chair supervising.

I peeled about 5 medium/large potatoes and cut them into equal size chunks so they would cook quickly. I placed them in a pot with one container of store bough chicken broth (low sodium for me) on medium heat.

While the potatoes heated, I sliced the leek and let it soak for a few minutes in a large bowl of water to make sure all the dirt was removed. The ribbons of leeks were then added in the same pot and brought to a low boil.
 

Let the vegetables simmer until the potatoes are soft.

Blend with cream, salt and pepper using an immersion blender or transfer the mixture to a blender. If the mixture seems a bit thick, add either more chicken broth or cream until the desired texture is achieved.

Garnish as desired.

FWJ was a huge fan of this creamy soup. Working with my grandson in the kitchen and finding a new soup recipe to share with someone I love left me feeling Fed Well and ready for the next snow day!

No comments:

Post a Comment