Tuesday, February 9, 2021

What is the secret to a great Bloody Mary for brunch?

 


I love brunch! I love a good cocktail - sweet or savory. I love various types of alcohol (although I do confess, I have a hard time finding a wine I like). And, the idea of a mini-snack with my drink sounds really appealing. I love extra olives in my martini :)

I have tried a few Bloody Mary's and I have not yet found one I can really get behind and the variations in this drink seems to really make ordering it a crap shoot. What is it that makes the best Bloody Mary? Is it the use of real tomato juice or V-8? Is it the need for worcestershire sauce (it's not only hard to say, it took me a minute to spell it)? Does it have to have a rim of salt or Old Bay seasoning? Tell me please - what is the secret to a great Bloody Mary?

And, if I truly can't discover a version I like, what are some other great brunch cocktails? I know, mimosa's are so very trendy with a variety of fruit juices and garnishes. The classic screwdriver can also be a big hit.

I once sat next to a woman at an event brunch (not a shower or social occasion - it was a non-profit event and I was there as a member of the press) and she asked if I wanted a cocktail. I asked what she was having. "A whiskey sour," she smiled and held her glass up with pride. 

Is that the thing about brunch? No rules? I mean really, if we think about it, it's breakfast foods mixed with lunch foods, served from late morning through early evening sooooo why not? 

Maybe my classic martini isn't far off the mark for being just perfect with brunch?

Whatever makes you feel Fed Well, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment